Lali Arts is a finalist in the Brooklyn Public Library's PowerUp Business Plan Competition! I am unbelievably thrilled, proud, excited and nervous! On November 18, I will be presenting in front of the judges in hopes of becoming a winner at the upcoming awards ceremony in December. Please wish me luck, and I will keep you updated about what happens!
How to Dye your Sink, with Nothing to Show for it.
First of all, how amazing are these costumes that Kate M. created for her 3 girls? For those not versed in all things My Little Pony, you are looking at Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia, and Spike, all posing with their trick or treat bags that we made last week.
When Kate M. originally told me that Princess Celestia's wig was backordered, what I heard was "blog post" and rushed to my local Halloween pop-up. This was my first mistake. The pop-up that appeared in Barclays Center was a mess, and nothing was of particularly high quality. But I was a business owner/blogger on a mission. So I found the last blond wig they had, in a bag that looked as though it had been opened, with an off-brand Daenerys Targaryen pictured on the front. After purchasing the wig, I took it out of the packaging so I could fit it in my purse for easy commuting back home. To my dismay, I pulled out an impossibly long and tangled wig, right in front of the ALL SALES FINAL sign. What I should have done was cut my losses and admit that this project was never going to happen. Instead I became determined to see my $26 not only go to good use, but GREAT use. I would turn this mess into a gorgeous, flowing, quad colored wig, even if it couldn't be used for T,s costume, would at least make a great blog post. I found a way to dye the wig using spray bottles, sharpies, and alcohol.
If you are thinking- "Oh no- an alcohol-Sharpie solution sounds like a terrible idea!" You would be correct. The smell was overwhelming and permanently stained everything it touched. Also, to try to detangle the rat's nest of hair I used some cooking oil (please no judgement- I was not about to use my fancy REAL hair detangler on this project that I was way too slowly understanding to be a bust).
In the end, T's wig came in plenty of time to top off her beautiful costume. For all my effort I was left with an absurdly smelly, greasy, tangled, unevenly dyed wig and a multicolored bathroom sink. Though I am happy I ended up getting a blogpost out of it- even if it is one sharing my mistakes.